I don’t know about you, but I’m always on the lookout for: 1.) tasty, quick, easy, and healthy meals; and 2.) more ways to use a waffle maker because it somehow makes everything – life and the food – better. Well. This recipe for tofu waffles checks both of those boxes.
If you have a block of tofu, salt, oil, and a waffle maker handy, that is pretty much all you need, folks. That and a few minutes to wait while the tofu gets nice and crispy.
Tofu Waffles (aka Tofaffles)Course: MealsDifficulty: Easy
These waffles come together very quickly, are a fun way to enjoy tofu, and help prove to the world that waffle makers have numerous functions beyond Sunday brunch!
1 block of tofu (ideally firm or extra firm)
Cooking oil spray (or oil to brush the waffle maker)
Salt, to taste
Other desired seasonings or spices: everything bagel seasoning, gochujang, hot sauce, peanut soy sauce dip…the world is your oyster!
- Preheat waffle maker.
- Drain and slice tofu – choose slice thickness based on how crispy you want the tofu waffle, how nice and soft you want the middle, and what you think your waffle maker can handle.
- Microwave tofu slices for ~2 minutes so they release some of their water. Drain and microwave for an additional 2 minutes, draining again. You don’t need the tofu to be completely dried out, but it helps to have it less watery before you waffle-ify it.
- Spray waffle maker or brush lightly with oil. Place tofu slices on the maker and season with salt. You can line them up next to each other so they become one big waffle, or you can leave space in between them to have individual waffled slices to serve.
- Let the waffle maker work its magic. When a satisfying waffle pattern and your desired crispiness has been achieved, remove, top with any desired seasonings, and serve hot.
- Some seasonings will burn in a waffle maker (trust me here…), so depending on what you are flavoring with, you can add it before or after cooking in the waffle maker. For instance, I would not recommend coating the tofu with the seasoning for dduk gochi before cooking. I would love to hear what seasonings you like to add!
When life gives you lemons…squeeze them over fresh tofu waffles.
Looking for more tofu recipes? Try this creamy tofu soup that only takes about 5 minutes.