Dessert hummus may sound like a crazy and terrible idea to you. But I promise it’s not. And if you want to prove me wrong, you have to try this Snickerdoodle Hummus first and then submit evidence. Then we can talk. ;D
I love using Mayocoba beans in this recipe because they are SO creamy and delicious, and I can get them locally here in Colorado. If you haven’t tried Mayocoba beans yet, they come with my highest recommendation. However, you could use another creamy, mild, white bean – think cannellini, great northern, etc.
Bonus: You’re in for a special “treat” – my husband helped me film a video of making this recipe. My camera presence may be questionable, but my enthusiasm about beans is not – it is 1,000% real!
Snickerdoodle HummusCourse: Dessert, SnacksDifficulty: Easy
This Snickerdoodle Hummus is a delightful bean-based dessert or tasty snack. Enjoy with fresh fruit and graham crackers to dip, spread on toast, or eat straight out of the food processor with no shame.
2 cups (354 g) Mayocoba beans (or a white bean like cannellini, great northern, etc.)
¼ cup (64 g) Almond butter
~1/3 cup (79 g) Maple syrup
2 Medjool dates
1 tsp Vanilla extract
2 tsp Cinnamon
2 Tbs (30 g) Milk of choice (dairy milk, oatmilk, soymilk, etc.)
- Drain and rinse beans well.
- Add all ingredients to a high-powered blender or food processor and puree until smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
- Taste and make adjustments as needed. For example, add another Medjool date or a touch of maple syrup if it isn’t sweet enough. Or maybe you need a pinch of salt? (I didn’t because I salt beans when I cook them and because the almond butter also had salt.) Your call!
- Serve with fresh fruit, graham crackers, or other items to dip. Or spread it on toast. Or go for the eat straight from the blender/food processor option – always a good idea.
- Use real maple syrup, you won’t regret it.
- If necessary, you can add a splash more of milk to help things blend. Using a creamy, smooth bean will likely make this unnecessary, though.
Bean-based desserts are a beautiful thing. Looking for more? I’ve got you covered and more are on the way! If you’re looking for something savory to enjoy before this treat, how about some Herby Bean Toast? Or maybe some Mediterranean-ish Chickpea Salad?
If you try this, be honest! What did you think, and are you also a fan of legume-y desserts? Let me know in the comments – I love to hear from you! 🙂