I don’t know why, but I find the name ‘Crabby Chickpea Salad’ highly amusing. But even if you don’t, bear with me – because this salad comes together super quickly and packs a lot of flavor. Plus, it’s very easy to personalize.
Fun update: my husband and I got wireless mics, which naturally means we wanted to experiment with them and attempt a cooking video. So, for the first time, I’m linking to a recipe video I made! Check it out below.
Crabby Chickpea SaladCourse: Meals, SaladsDifficulty: Easy
2 – 4servings
Make this Crabby Chickpea Salad your own by swapping in different beans or herbs and having fun with the ingredient ratios. This serves approximately 2 as a main dish and 4 as a side salad.
1.5 cups Chickpeas (or use a white bean like great northern, cannellini, navy, etc.)
1.5 cups Corn (canned)
1 cup Imitation crab
2 Green onions
2 Tbs Tamed jalapeño (jarred kind)
2/3 cup Plain yogurt (we use plain, tangy yogurt made from whole milk)
3 Tbs Dijon (or honey Dijon) mustard
Lots of freshly cracked black pepper
- Drain and rinse chickpeas (rinsing is not as necessary with home-cooked chickpeas as with canned). Place them in a large bowl.
- Add 1.5 cups of drained can corn (1 15-oz. can). Shred about 1 cup of imitation crab, slice 2 green onions, and dice or roughly chop tamed jalapeños. Add these ingredients to the chickpeas.
- In a small bowl (or let’s be real, just go ahead and dump it into the large bowl to save dishes), mix up the yogurt, Dijon mustard, and black pepper. Stir all the ingredients together to evenly coat with the sauce. Taste for flavor and adjust as needed.
- Serve immediately or place in the refrigerator and enjoy when ready.
- Have fun with this recipe! We often use more like 3 cups of beans instead of just 1.5 cups and add a bit more sauce accordingly. Or maybe you’re craving some extra zing and want to add more jalapeño? Go for it. Orrrr perhaps you’re like my mom and have an onion allergy? Swap out green onions for an herb like cilantro.
Let me know what you think of the recipe and video, if you have a chance! 🙂
Also… confession: I love imitation crab. You too?? Then try these Fried Rice Waffles. Or maybe you are looking for another delightful chickpea salad? Then this Chickpea Waldorf Salad just might hit the spot.