This is the Deluxe version of the Savory and Simple Chickpea Flour Scramble. This recipe was improved upon thanks to the help of some incredible citizen scientists – thank you, everyone!
I hope you enjoy this Chickpea Flour Scramble Deluxe! The video included is for the original recipe, but it still gives you an idea of what the process looks like.
Savory and Simple Chickpea Flour ScrambleDifficulty: Easy
Chickpea flour means this delicious Chickpea Flour Scramble Deluxe is extra packed with fiber and plant-based protein to keep you full and healthy.
1 cup (~120 g) chickpea flour
1 and 1/3 cups (~314 g) water *See note
1/3 cup (~20 g) nutritional yeast
½ – 1 tsp chili powder, to taste
Pinch of turmeric (optional, but helps achieve a more egg-like color)
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper, or to taste
½ cup (~80 g) marinated artichoke hearts – recommend jarred over canned
¼ cup (~45 g) sun-dried tomatoes
1 garlic clove, or to taste
½ cup green peas (frozen or fresh)
4 tsp olive oil, divided
Other potential vegetables to add to the sauté: Diced onion, spinach, Swiss chard, mushroom (optional)
Optional toppings: Fresh herbs, cheese
- Add chickpea flour, water, nutritional yeast, chili powder, turmeric (if using), salt, and pepper to a bowl and whisk together well. It is a relatively thin batter.
- Let the mixture sit for 10-15 minutes so the chickpea flour becomes more fully hydrated. During this time, prepare the vegetables. Chop the artichoke hearts and sun-dried tomatoes into your desired bite size. Mince the garlic.
- In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook the artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, and green peas in 2 tsp olive oil.
- When warmed through, add the remaining 2 tsp of olive oil to the pan. Then add the chickpea flour batter. Rotate the pan so the mixture spreads out evenly.
- Cook for a few minutes, until you can see the edges are cooked and the middle is firming up. Then, using a spatula, break up the mixture to resemble scrambled eggs.
- Continue cooking until the batter is no longer moist and the chickpea flour scramble has begun to brown. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed.
- Cube or slice the avocado, according to your preference. Serve the chickpea flour scramble warm, topped with avocado and any other desired garnishes.
- *For extra flavor, replace some of the water with artichoke marinade.
- I don’t like the texture of this as much the next day, after being stored in the fridge and heated up. I would recommend enjoying it fresh and making the amount you intend to eat.
- The video is for the original Savory and Simple Chickpea Flour Scramble, but hopefully it is still helpful in showing what the consistency of the batter looks like.
- For a burst of flavor and color, try adding chopped herbs to the chickpea flour batter.
Chickpea Flour Scramble Nutrition Facts
These nutrition facts were created in Nutritionist Pro, and numbers can of course vary slightly with different brands, etc.
Chickpea Flour Recipe Inspiration
Here are a few ideas to make you hungry. 😉