Recently, I was buying chickpea flour and decided I needed at least 8 pounds. Why? Because it is so versatile, delicious, and savory, yes. But perhaps more importantly, it means I get to eat chickpea flatbread pizzas as often as I want. Which is…quite often.
Chickpea Flatbread PizzaCourse: MealsDifficulty: Easy
This chickpea flatbread pizza is deliciously savory and packs in extra protein and fiber. It’s also easy to whip up and fun to personalize!
120 g (1 cup) chickpea flour
240 g (1 cup) warm water
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbs artichoke marinade oil (optional, but boosts flavor and works well when using artichoke hearts as a toping)
2 Tbs butter
- Topping Ideas
Mediterranean-ish: artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, feta cheese
Mushrooms and cheese
Whatever toppings go on your favorite pizza
- Place a cast iron skillet (~10-inch recommended) in the oven and preheat to 450 degrees F (~230 degrees C). Make a mental note that it will be extremely hot when you pull it out f the oven, and that avoiding burns is always ideal. Unfortunately, hot cast iron looks basically exactly the same as room temperature cast iron, so I usually set my oven mitts out now as a visual reminder.
- In a medium or large bowl, mix the chickpea flour, salt, and warm water together well. If you have marinated artichoke hearts on hand, adding some of the marinade helps boost flavor. Note: I generally heat a little water on the stove and then measure out the warm water, but heat it whatever way works best for you!
- While waiting for the oven to preheat, prep desired toppings. We usually use salty cheeses as toppings, which works really well with the savory – but only slightly salted – chickpea batter.
- When the oven is fully preheated, put on those oven mitts and CAREFULLY pull out the cast iron pan. Brace yourself for an arm workout and then add the butter, swirling to melt.
- When the butter has melted – which will happen very quickly because the pan is hot – set it down on a heat-safe surface. Working quickly but safely, pour in the batter and return to the oven immediately.
- After baking for 10 minutes, remove from the oven and add your toppings. Return to the oven to finish cooking and get the toppings to the level of meltiness and crispiness that makes your heart sing (5-10-ish minutes more). The edges and bottom of the chickpea flatbread should also be beautifully browned and crispy because of the perfect combo of cast iron and butter.
- Cut into desired serving sizes and serve hot.
Now that you are a pro with chickpea flatbread pizza, what about trying a Chickpea Dutch Baby? It may look similar, but the Dutch baby batter has the added richness of milk (of your choice) and eggs. Sounds worth a try, right?